Sports
Ben Sulayem says Qatar GP is symbol of country’s ambition
FIA President Mohammed Ben Sulayem says the Qatar Grand Prix is poised to once again demonstrate the Middle East’s growing influence in Formula 1 — and its significance to the future of global motorsport — as the drivers’ title battle approaches its climax.
As this year’s penultimate round gets under way on Sunday, the Lusail International Circuit continues to expand its role in developing new talent, supporting the FIA’s mission to broaden access to the sport. Qatar’s growing motorsport ecosystem — from expanded FIA karting programmes to the Formula 4 Middle East Championship and increased investment in training officials and volunteers — offers young drivers and aspiring professionals a clear, affordable pathway to the top tiers of racing.
“As we look forward, this Grand Prix reinforces our confidence in the Middle East and the vital role the region plays on the championship calendar — building passionate fan communities and promoting inclusivity. This is central to the FIA’s wider strategy for motorsport growth and development,” he added.
Since joining the F1 calendar in 2021, Lusail has become a key fixture thanks to its flowing 16-corner layout and multiple overtaking opportunities, creating ideal conditions for close and competitive racing. The circuit’s dramatic floodlighting delivers one of F1’s most striking night-race atmospheres, enhanced further by the state-of-the-art upgrades completed during its renovation two years ago
These improvements — including a 402-metre pit lane with 50 garages, new race control, media and medical centres, modernised lighting systems, and 2.5km of FIA-approved debris fencing — underline Lusail’s commitment to innovation and to meeting the FIA’s highest safety and technical standards.
The FIA remains dedicated to expanding accessibility and diversity within motorsport worldwide, ensuring equal opportunities for emerging talent. A key component of this effort in the region is the MENA Karting Championship Nations Cup, founded by Ben Sulayem in 2020. This year’s edition, held at Lusail last month by the Qatar Motor and Motorcycle Federation (QMMF), was a major success, drawing more than 170 drivers from 18 countries.
Ben Sulayem also has a long-standing personal connection with Qatar, having won the country’s round of the FIA Middle East Rally Championship nine times between 1988 and 2002. Ahead of last year’s Grand Prix, he met with Qatar’s Prime Minister, Sheikh Mohammed Bin Abdulrahman Bin Jassim Al Thani, and the Minister of Sports and Youth, Sheikh Hamad Bin Khalifa Bin Ahmed Al Thani, to discuss Qatar’s expanding role in global motorsport.
Gulf news
Football
Iran to boycott 2026 World Cup draw after US visa denials
Iran’s Football Federation has announced it will boycott the final draw for the 2026 FIFA World Cup after the US denied visas to several senior members of its delegation. The draw is set to take place on December 5 in Washington, D.C.
Federation spokesperson Amir Mehdi Alavi told state-run IRIB TV on Friday that the decision followed internal discussions and consultations with the Ministry of Sports and Youth and the Foreign Ministry. He described the US action as “non-sporting” and said it left the federation with no option but to withdraw.
FIFA notified as Tehran protests decision
Alavi confirmed that FIFA, including its President Gianni Infantino, has been formally notified of the boycott. He added that world football’s governing body has promised to look into the matter with urgency, Xinhua reported.
Iran ready for fourth straight appearance
Despite the setback, Iran remains firmly on the global stage. The national team has already secured its spot in the expanded 48-team tournament, co-hosted by the US, Canada and Mexico from 11 June to 19 July 2026.
This marks Iran’s fourth consecutive qualification and seventh overall, reinforcing its strong presence in Asian football.
Local media reports said the visa denials affected several top officials, including federation President Mehdi Taj. Only four members of the delegation — among them men’s national team head coach Amir Ghalenoei — were granted entry.
Taj currently serves as one of the vice presidents of the Asian Football Confederation and sits on several FIFA committees involved in competitions and men’s football governance.
Gulf News
Sports
17 red cards in match produce unbelievable scenes
Can you believe it? Seventeen red cards were dished out in a game of football. Seventeen red cards. A Copa Bolivia quarter final between Club Blooming and Real Oruro descended into complete chaos as a huge fight broke out and the referee sent off players coaches and staff before police stepped in with pepper spray.
Chaos in the Copa Bolivia.
There were unsavoury scenes after this game, with fights breaking out between opposing players and staff – 17 men were sent off!
A scuffle that exploded into full scale chaos
The flashpoint began when a scuffle erupted between some Blooming players and Oruro’s Sebastian Zeballos and Julio Vila. What looked like a routine argument exploded into full scale violence as punches and kicks flew from every direction. Staff members rushed in and the situation spiralled into one of the wildest scenes Bolivian football has witnessed. Oruro later shared an image of their coach Marcelo Robledo in hospital after being caught in the middle of the brawl.
Red cards galore
By the time the dust settled Oruro had four players shown red while Blooming lost seven of their own with six of them dismissed after the fight. Another six red cards went to members of the coaching and backroom teams including the Oruro coach. Blooming also revealed that a member of their security staff needed surgery for a fractured cheekbone following the violent clashes.
Incredibly the match still had a sporting outcome. Blooming advanced to the semi finals after winning the tie four three on aggregate thanks to their first leg lead. They now face Club Bolivar the reigning champions in a clash that arrives after a quarter final the country will not forget.
Gulf News
Ronaldo reacts as Portugal win the FIFA U-17 World Cup for the first time
Portugal have been crowned FIFA Under 17 World Cup winners for the first time after a 1–0 victory over Austria in the final. Anisio Cabral delivered the decisive strike in the 32nd minute at the Khalifa International Stadium in Al Rayyan in Qatar, sealing a historic moment for a nation with a proud record of youth development.
A landmark moment for Portuguese football
This title represents a major step forward for Portugal and reflects the progress of their youth system. It also comes in the same year they won the European Under 17 Championship after a convincing 3–0 win over France, which set the tone for their rise.
Cristiano Ronaldo sends his congratulations
Cristiano Ronaldo congratulated the team through his social media and his message quickly lit up among Portuguese fans. For many players in this squad he must be the defining role model and seeing their national icon acknowledge their success might have made their day even more special.
The journey to glory
Portugal began their group campaign with authority. They opened with a 6–1 victory over New Caledonia and followed it with a 6–0 win against Morocco. Their third group match was a more demanding contest and they lost 2–1 to Japan, finishing second in the group.
Their knockout run showed growing confidence. They beat Belgium 2–1 in the round of 32, then produced a superb 5–0 performance against Mexico in the round of 16. A controlled 2–0 win over Switzerland carried them into the semi finals, where they edged Brazil in a tense penalty shootout.
Cabral leads the way
Anisio Cabral was the standout figure for Portugal. His winning goal in the final crowned an excellent tournament in which he scored 7 goals. Only Austria’s Johannes Moser finished with more and claimed the Golden boot. Cabral’s sharp movement and clinical finishing have given him all the attention needed. Also, Portugal’s forward Mateus Mide received the Golden Ball award for his wonderful performance throughout the campaign. How many of them will make it big in their careers is something we have to wait and see
A promising future
The triumph is being hailed as a breakthrough for Portuguese youth football. With European and world titles secured in the same year, many believe this group could form a key part of the senior national team in the future.
The natural question now is whether the senior team can bring the success on the biggest stage in 2026. With this trophy added to Portugal’s growing collection, only two major titles remain unclaimed: the Senior World Cup and the Under 21 European Championship. Both feel within reach, with chances coming in 2026 and 2027.
Gulf News
Sports
Biggest ever Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
Preparations have moved into top gear with the start of the Formula 1® Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix programme now just 10 days away.
After Max Verstappen’s victory and McLaren’s double disqualification in Las Vegas, the championship is heading for a potential three-way showdown in Abu Dhabi. With just 24 points separating the leader, Lando Norris, from Oscar Piastri and Verstappen and 58 points on offer for the final two rounds there is a strong chance the title will be decided on the track of Yas Marina Circuit at the 24th and final race of the season from December 4-7.
After 12 months of planning and build-up, the final touches are now being applied across the island as all 10 F1 teams and 20 drivers, as well as eight headline acts, are set to arrive in the UAE.
Last year’s event drew 192,000 fans across four days, and early indications are that the 2025 event is on track to surpass that figure. Fans will travel from 105 countries – a testament to the event’s global reach.
WAM
-
Health2 weeks agoBorn Too Soon: Understanding Premature Birth and the Power of Modern NICU Care
-
Health2 weeks agoEmirates Society of Colorectal Surgery Concludes the 3rd International Congress Under the Leadership of Dr. Sara Al Bastaki
-
Health1 month agoBreast Cancer Awareness Session at Dr. Sulaiman Al Habib Sheikh Zayed Clinic
-
Business1 month agoKorean Tech Leaders Unveil Cutting-Edge Digital Content at GITEX Dubai 2025
-
Lifestyle2 months agoTop Staycations Across Saudi Cities
-
Tech2 months agoSouth Korea’s Leading Digital Content Companies Shine at GITEX Global 2025
-
Business1 month agoMediclinic Welcare Hospital Recognised as Centre of Excellence in Multidisciplinary Endometriosis Care
-
Analytics1 month agoIMF Raises Saudi Arabia’s 2025 Growth Forecast to 4 %
